No one enjoys cleaning their kitchen but it’s a necessary evil. An unclean kitchen can be dangerous because preparing your food in a dirty kitchen leaves you with spoiled food that makes you ill. Here are our top ten tips for cleaning your kitchen.
1. When you leave a sponge lying flat it can soak up all the gunk from the counter and it gets really gross. To keep your sponges clean you should store them upright using binder clips. This also makes them dry faster and last longer.
2. No one enjoys cleaning stoves. Make your life easier by sealing stoves in ammonia fumes (not an ammonia soak). These fumes will dissolve the oil and grease from the stove and make it super easy to clean.
3. The tarnish on your utensils can be removed through chemical reactions. That’s why you should use baking soda to clean tarnished utensils. Sprinkle some baking soda on them and then pour boiling water on them. Give them some time to soak and then buff them using soft cotton.
4. Cleaning jars and bottles with long necks can be a real pain. It doesn’t need to be though. Fill the bottles with water and pop in some denture cleaning tablets such as Efferdent. Let the bottle be overnight and scrub it clean with a nylon brush in the morning.
5. There’s no need to toss out your burnt pans. All you need to do is use a miracle cleaning solution to fix the problem. Combine water, baking soda, and vinegar. This solution is perfect for cleaning your burnt pans and bringing them back to life.
6. Here’s another tip for cleaning your stove; car wax. Yep; car wax. Just apply a thin layer of car wax to your stove and wipe it off. This makes your stove much easier to clean and stops any future spills from getting so stuck.
7. Coffeemakers and tea kettles can be a real convenience but they can also be a pain to clean. Make your life easier with a solution of vinegar and water. Wipe them down with the solution and rinse it out with several cycles of water.
8. Your cutting board is the centre of your kitchen and it needs to be immaculate if you want to avoid bacteria and spoiled food. It’s a hotbed for cross-contamination. Keep it clean by using lemons to remove stains from your plastic or wood cutting board. Squeeze the lemon and give the board a good rub. Give it 20 minutes to sit and rinse it off.
9. If your kids love Kool-Aid then the great news is you can actually use it to clean your dishwasher. Run the dishwasher on an empty cycle with lemon Kool-Aid in the detergent cup. This can remove iron stains and lime deposits.
10. Did you know you can steam clean your microwave? It’s pretty easy. Just add a cup of vinegar to a cup of hot water and toss it in the microwave for 10 minutes.
There you have our top ten tips for cleaning your kitchen. Give them a try for yourself! Save time so you can enjoy amazing things to see in Oxford.